Is Online Learning for You?
Nash Community College’s online courses are equivalent to traditional courses in academic rigor and student requirements. Students should not view an online course as “easier” than traditional courses. Online courses often require more time than conventional face-to-face courses. In addition to self-motivation, good time management skills, and self-discipline, they also require proficiency with computers and technology.
As you consider whether online learning is right for you, we strongly recommend the following:
- You have successfully completed, or placed out of, all developmental courses.
- You have access to a computer with a reliable connection to the Internet.
- You know how to download and use Mozilla Firefox and/or Google Chrome browsers as these will be required for online courses.
- You have a working knowledge of both the Internet and email.
- You know how to save, locate, organize, upload, download and attach electronic files.
- You are familiar with Google Docs, Microsoft Office, or a similar suite of programs which includes a word processor.
- You are prepared to download or purchase any potential tools and software required for online or virtual courses.
- For virtual courses, you have access to and a working knowledge of a webcam.
- You are prepared to spend up to two hours online for every 1-credit hour for each online course. (For example, a 3-credit hour course will require close to 6 hours per week.)
- You are highly self-motivated; have good time-management skills and able to independently comprehend information (articles, textbooks, websites, etc.)
- You are willing to ask an instructor for help when you have trouble understanding a topic and need clarification.
If you are knowledgeable and comfortable with these suggestions then online learning may be right for you. See what programs Nash offers fully online
For more guidance to whether Online learning is right for you, please view our FAQ’s about Nash Online.
If online learning isn’t right for you, don’t worry! Nash Community College still offers a variety of programs apart from Nash online programs. Click here for a full listing